The Death and "Loss" of the Nexus 6P

You’ll remember that in late 2015 I picked up a new mobile phone – I extolled the virtues, positives and negatives of this handset on here at some length. Well, on the 22nd December, the day I finished work for the holiday break, I decided to give Frank a bath. To do so, we have to take him upstairs and wash him in the bath in the family bathroom. I’ve done this four times since we moved in (maybe we should wash our dog more often, I don’t know) and each time he’s been fine. Frank is actually quite good at baths compared to other dogs. Connie had erroneously not bathed her lab Benson back in Canada and by the time he needed one he wasn’t having any of it – there are photos of Frank’s first ever bath, where he is standing as still as marble, and over time he has gotten used to it. This doesn’t mean that it goes well though – he’s a big dog and likes to move about and get things wet, including myself. 

I decided that to avoid getting my clothes soaked and my Nexus 6P soaked I’d strip down to just my boxers and socks (this sounds more idiotic typing it out than it actually is in practice, I promise you) and I folded my jumper up and put it over the bannister. I then folded my jeans and threw them over the bannister, emptying literally everything out of my pockets; my wallet, coins, car keys, house keys, and yes the Nexus 6P.

Needless to say it didn’t survive the 12 foot fall down the stairs. I honestly thought it might survive the drop, but it landed on a corner, bending the metal chassis, killing the rear camera’s focusing and killing a top part of the screen initially that later spread across the AMOLED screen to kill the entire display. Luckily, due to a certain disaster with a certain toilet bowl and a certain person’s iPhone (not naming any names), we insured our phones in the autumn and even luckily-ier I had added the Nexus to the policy the moment it entered the front door of our house. So, over the busiest and most disrupted weeks of the year, I posted my Nexus to the insurers and hoped that by the new year everything would have been sorted.

Royal Mail have had other ideas. I posted the item on the 29th, giving it three working days to get there before new year. I paid a high price for Special Delivery (insured, of course). I called the insurers on the 4th of January to check the progress of the claim – when was I getting my phone back? Turned out they’d not received it and alarm bells (loud 121dB klaxons) started sounding. I tentatively checked the tracking number and there it was – “Out for Delivery – 30thDecember 2015”. My heart sank. 

I called Royal Mail who processed a delay refund on the postage which helps somewhat, but now they’re waiting to see what happened to the package. Where did it end up after it was put onto the Medway Mail Centre van for delivery only the mysterious Gods of Mail knew at that point. I had paid for Special Delivery Guaranteed which covered up to £500 according to the website, but on the posting slip it states that I have the phone insured for curiously only £400. I told the person on the counter it was worth £439 so no idea where the smaller number came from. This began to worry me, as was the fact that I can imagine trying to get that an insurance claim from Royal Mail would have just added more time to the whole affair. 

At first, all I could think about was that between the holidays the repair centre was shut, the package unable to be delivered, and it was left on the van until and that caused it to slip into the Vortex of Lost Mail. Either that, or it was delivered, but due to a mess up, the delivery wasn’t recorded by either Royal Mail or the insurers (this is less likely, considering how important a part of the procedure this step is for both parties). Turned out that the second one was actually the truth and what had happened! Royal Mail slowly explained that when things are delivered to a PO box, they are held securely at a mail centre for a company or person to collect. Their exact collection timetable varies, so it could be once a day, or once a year. But once the package is collected and scanned it is then logged as having been “delivered” despite it actually already having been delivered. In my case, the scan into the PO box was either not done or missed, as the insurance company are happily processing my claim and are in receipt of the dead Nexus. I am unsure that they’ll be able to fix it (the camera, chassis and metal banding were all pretty badly bent) but we shall see in the end – I’ll just be happy to give back this HTC Desire X I’ve been using (that’s the phone that is in this post on the left, where the entire phone is smaller than the screen on the Nexus). The Desire X has been a godsend for Whatsapp but it can’t handle Instagram, the keyboard I used, and Spotify – there just isn’t enough memory on board. Instead, intermittent crashes and reboots are the order of the day (that and bone-crushingly slow speed online of course). 

So that’s what happened to my first Nexus and the god’s being willing I’ll have either a replaced or repaired Nexus 6P this time next week. And yes, at the previously nameless person’s insistence, the next thing I will be buying will be a protective case.